Make Your Own Futon Mattress Covers
New futon mattress covers too expensive? If you are like many people looking to replace their old or worn futon covers, you were surprised at the prices when you started looking around. If you don't have the budget to buy a new futon cover then make one. It is easy and inexpensive – heck, make two!
You don't have to be a die hard do-it-yourselfer to make your own futon mattress cover. All you need is a sewing machine, scissors, stray pins and two flat sheets. Yes, that is all! Purchase flat sheet the appropriate size for your futon (twin, full or queen). Today there are so many sheet styles to choose from – patterns, solids even a denim look for a casual feel. The added bonus of using flat sheets for futon mattress covers is that there are probably matching pillows and curtains available. Better yet, make you own!
Make your own futon mattress covers
- Wash and iron your two matching flat sheets. This will save you from the disappointment of shrinkage later on
- Next pin the two sheets along three of the four sides, right sides together
- Sew the three pinned sides leaving a 5/8 inch seam
- You have three options for the fourth side:
- Sew Velcro all along the side
- Sew a zipper in along the side
- Sew four sets of ties evenly spaced along the side.
That is it! That is all you need do to create your own custom futon mattress cover. Following these simple steps, you can make futon mattresses for couches, loveseats and chairs. Since it is so easy and inexpensive, why not consider making another slip cover so that you can change the look of your room with the change of the seasons. When you get your new futon mattress slipcover on, you will be pleasantly surprised at how it renews your room. And you did it yourself!