How to Choose the Right Cigar Humidor
Looking for a cigar humidor? With so much to choose from, finding the right one for you can be a daunting task. But it doesn't have to be. If you know what to look for, you can quickly find just what you need at a price you can afford.
A cigar humidor is as important to a cigar aficionado as it is to a beginner. They safely store your cigars, keeping them at just the right humidity – somewhere in the range of 65-75%.
To keep your cigars in the best possible condition, maintaining the right humidity in a cigar humidor is vital. If your cigars are stored where the air is too dry, your cigars dry out, and lose their flavor. On the other hand, if the air is too moist, mold will spoil your cigars.
Cigar humidors come is many shapes and sizes. There are small, compact ones for desk tops and larger ones, considered cigar humidor cabinets, that can hold 100 or more cigars. When a cigar humidor is doing its job well, the cigars age in a way that enhances their flavor, improving your enjoyment.
If you really enjoy a superior cigar, then choosing one of the many quality cigar humidors available is an important investment for you. It is, however, an investment that will last you many years. But if your budget is tight, there are discount cigar humidors to be found if you are willing to do some shopping around. You can even find cheap cigar humidors used. No matter how you find your cigar humidor, follow these easy steps to finding one that is right for you.
Five steps to choosing the right cigar humidor:
1. Size. Your first cigar humidor shouldn't break your budget, but you should be able to grow into it. A 50-cigar humidor is usually idea. Keep in mind that you can put just a few cigars in a larger humidor, but you can't put more in a small one!
2. Seal. A good seal is critical to the performance of your cigar humidor. If the seal does not stop air movement, then it is not doing its job.
3. Liner. Every cigar humidor should have a lining – usually made of Cedar. Cedar is chosen because it can handle the humidity without warping.
4. Style. Look for a cigar humidor that complements the décor in the room it will be going into.
5. Quality. Quality is paramount in a cigar humidor. If the lid warps, or the hardware fails, the seal will be broken, rendering it useless.