Gymnastics Camps - A Summer Gymnastics Camp
Finding the right gymnastics camp for your child is important. After all, your child will be attending the camp to learn new skills, try new things and create a lifetime of memories.
The first place to begin your task of choosing the right summer gymnastics camp is to gather as much information as possible about the camps you are considering.
Research gymnastics camps by asking the following questions:
- How long has the gymnastics camp been in business and what is its reputation? It helps if you can talk with camp alumni. Your child's gymnastics coach will be knowledgeable about the different camps and can serve as a great source of information.
- What are the staff's qualifications? It's important to know who will be caring for and coaching your child. Starting from the top, what are the director's qualifications? Is he or she respected in the gymnastics community?
- What is the instructor's caliber of coaching?
- Does the gymnastics camp have any Olympic, international, national and/or collegiate coaches on staff?
- Does the camp staff receive thorough training in spotting or teaching of the latest gymnastics techniques? Are they USA Gymnastics Safety Certified?
- What is the cost and what are you getting for your money? The camp can usually provide a sample camp schedule. The daily schedule should give you a good idea of what your child will be doing throughout the week.
- Look to see how many hours of gymnastics instruction is offered, and if it is optional or mandatory. Are the facilities top-notch? What is the instructor-to-gymnast ratio?
- Does the camp have campers set weekly skill goals and evaluate their progress? Furthermore, what types of activities are provided for your child when he or she is not working out? Are those activities included in the camp fee?
- What type of supervision will your child receive? Will a counselor be on site through the night? Eat meals with your child?
- Most important: What type of medical personnel is on staff? Sprains, strains, even breaks are a reality at gymnastics camp. Are camp counselors certified in First Aid training and are protocols established to handle serious accidents?
Summer gymnastics camp is a great way for children to improve their gymnastic abilities, but it is a sport fraught with the potential for serious injury – so assure yourself that it puts safety as a top consideration