Buy Wine Online
A Supreme Court ruling in May 2005 gave a boost to online wine sales. The ruling removed some of the barriers concerning direct-to-consumer shipping. This has led to changes in state laws
Guidelines for ordering wines online:
- Many states are changing their laws. Before you order online check on the site to make sure it delivers to your state. Look for shipping costs before you order.
- Make sure the bottle size is what you want - don' order magnums or half-bottles by mistake.
- Check the vintage. If vintage is important to you tell them you don't want vintage substitutions
- Read the fine print. Some sites say they can substitute a different wine if under a certain price. If you don't want a substitution tell them.
- Check return policy. Some charge significant restocking fees
- Look for case discounts
- Check if there's a minimum purchase
- See if you are being charged "insurance" on your order. It can be a significant hidden charge.
- Don't order in very hot or cold weather
- Deliveries have to be accepted by someone who is at least 21- so an adult needs to be at home.